Storm King's Thunder
Curse of Strahd
|pace||mph||effect||1/4 mile time|
|fast||4||-5 to passive perception & navigation, can’t forage or track||4m|
|slow||2||+5 navigation & tracking, can use stealth||8m|
Initiative and turn order
- Initiative rolls will determine which PCs go before and after monsters, but player turns can otherwise occur in any order, usually the order posted.
firing ranged weapons into melee
- target has half cover when within 5’ of creatures you do not want to hit
dragging grappled creatures
- When you drag a grappled creature, they follow into the space you just vacated
- d20+[STR modifier]+[PB] to hit
- 1+[STR modifier] bludgeoning damage
- spells and abilities that mention “weapon attack” work with unarmed strikes
- If similar to an actual weapon, can be treated as such, including proficiency bonus (if applicable)
- if there is no equivalent weapon, it is a melee weapon (Strength based) that does 1d4 damage. Without a special character features, you do not add your proficiency bonus.
- default range for improvised thrown weapons is (20/60)
- making a melee attack with a ranged weapon, or throwing a melee weapon without the thrown property is also treated as an improvised weapon.
- Helping someone up from prone: Take the Grapple action and spend half of your speed to get them on their feet OR take the Ready action and remain next to them until their turn and they can stand up at 0 movement cost.
- If you take the dash action, you cannot use your reaction to make an opportunity attack until the start of your next turn
Sneaking up on someone
- Determine which of the observer’s senses apply to the scenario: sight, smell, hearing. If the observer’s dominant sense cannot apply, and they do not have a keen sense to substitute, they will be at disadvantage.
- Rather than a pass/fail result, the outcome of the stealth check will determine how close, in five-foot spaces, the sneaker can come before the observer notices them
- Observer must either be facing away the entire time, or intermittently looking away from direction of approach long enough for sneaker to move from cover to cover
Modifiers to sneaking up
- Do not apply modifiers related to a sense that the observer is unable to bring into play (e.g. visibility if the observer is facing the other way the whole time)
|observer periodically looking at direction of approach||advantage to perception|
- In place of the material component noted in a spell’s description, you can use any object that has a symbolic connection to the spell. Specific gp values of material components still apply.
- A cleric or paladin can make and imbue their own focus during a short rest if they have access to materials that they can work into a representation of their deity’s symbol.
- The symbol of Torm is a right-hand gauntlet with the palm showing
- The symbol of Ilmater is a blood-stained rack, a pair of hands bound at the wrists, or a length of red cord wound around the caster’s wrist and held across her palm.
Specific Spell Changes
- Find traps: duration increased to one hour
- Goodberry: no synergy with life cleric
- Healing spirit: can heal a max of [spell ability mod x2] times.
- Identify: In addition to revealing magical properties, discloses details of an item’s history
- Knock: can only open Arcane Lock of same or lower level
- Leomund’s Tiny Hut: barrier can be passed through freely by objects, creatures or magic effects: removes penalties for sleeping in difficult conditions, allows rest where it would otherwise be impossible
- Message : no V or S component; you must still mouth the message and point at the target
- Rope Trick: creatures inside the rope trick can hear sounds from outside through the window-like opening, but sounds originating inside the extradimensional space are not heard outside it. A creature or object partly in the extradimensional space is partyly visible from the outside and can be heard there, but is not physically present (i.e. cannot attack or be attacked) until they fully exit the space.
- Spike Growth: A creature takes damage when they move through the spikes, even if the movement was not of their own free will (i.e. they were shoved or dragged across the ground)
- Suggestion: liberal interpretation, “reasonable” just refers to having to word it right; at end, they know you cast it and manipulated them.
Wands and other items with charges
- charges do not automatically regenerate; a process similar to creating an item in the first place is required
- In order to benefit from a short or long rest, the PCs need to be in a situation where they can actually relax and let their guard down. For a short rest, this can just be a minimally-fortified place with lookouts or other safeguards.
- A long rest requires a more substantial safe haven, like a civilized settlement, consecrated ground, or magical sanctuary. Long rests will usually not be possible in the wilderness, a battlefield, a dungeon or other hostile place. Trying to get a night’s sleep or a long rest in armor requires a CON save to succeed. Failure means not getting the benefits of sleep/rest and possibly taking a level of exhaustion. Light (DC10), Medium or shield (DC15), Heavy (DC20) CON save.
The following points apply to creatures without swim speeds acting in water.
- Strength (athletics) checks, Dex checks and Dex saves are at disadvantage
- Each turn spent in water without something to hold onto adds a point of fatigue. After 3+[Con Modifier] points of fatigue, the creature must make a DC10 Con save at the end of each turn or gain a level of exhaustion. These levels of exhaustion are removed after a short rest. Taking the dash action while in water adds an additional point of fatigue.
Identifying magic items
- attuned items → attuning reveals nature, but also attunes you
- other items → only identify spell, research or experimentation can reveal use
- potions → id with alchemist kit or other means, but don’t make the roll until actually drinking → failure = the potion is something else (randomly determined); might be labeled
- scrolls → having spell on your list = know what it is
- weapons → Int check with weapon’s proficiency bonus helps investigate
Meat from dead animals
- Max 50% of carcass weight. Nature or Survival check to determine how much taken.
- Dead wolf, standard value: 5g